Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ambitions

I was just thinking today, what if I could really make it as a writer. Surpass all the Singaporean writers, whose books, I admit I don't really read a lot about because I find their book synopsis... a little mundane. People don't rave about them and people don't really get themselves on bestseller lists.

The paper kind of looks too new.
The stitching is too hard.
The covers are just photographs or illustrations you can't connect with.
Or perhaps we're just Asian, and the culture was never meant for us to think in this language.
Of English.
It's another man's language.
Isn't it.
You are just scribbles and pen-marks with no sense to them.
You weren't made to write like this.
Write. In. Your. Own. Words.
But all words are borrowed.
How do you string them up and choke the very life out of them
When they aren't even your own property?
You only do that to slaves.
Words can control you, manipulate you
Speeches can convince you, sway you, or down-right
Ignite a passionate fire
Essays can go to the trash bin
Who likes reading them?
News articles tell you the vogue but nothing more
Novels are decent; the most modest of the lot.
But most of them are channels of the cloaca
That is human thought.
Mostly for sewage.
Then some are crotchet-filled dumps.
Then some are just for people like me.
Lusting to live in some big old city that's not here
Sounding just like the latest pop star sensation

I'm going to change that if I can. If I don't dream BIG now, there will never be any dream that I'll fulfill next time.

No comments: