Wednesday, June 24, 2009

S.O.S.

Okay, there's a debate on Saturday, 27th June. Only juniors can participate in it and so, the main debate team, by default has only one member to send. The rest are juniors or dormant members from my level. Because of all the competitions and exams, hardly any of them have had proper training. Furthermore, we have a new debate trainer because our previous one is continuing her studies on another continent.

We've got three themes, (its an impromptu debate, and THREE debates in one day. That's just preliminary round, the final round would mean a forth debate, mostly likely not meant for us) Medical Ethics, Law and Justice and India.

We had two motions today and a short Opposition side only debate. The first motion was This House Should allow voluntary Euthanasia. The second, This House would allow force feeding of Anorexics. Both of which I was first speaker for proposition. And the new trainer wants me as first, gulp. The third, where I was first Opposition, dang it, was This House would allow teenagers to be charged as adults for criminal offences.

And if you're wondering, yes, I did miserably because of all the time slipped by without a training. And yes, my tracking and handwriting was quite illegible, even to myself.

Okay, so my next few blog posts will discuss a motion or topic or something. I think I'll try doing an explanation of Law and Justice and about the whole concept of human rights and whats not.

Alternatively, my crochet hook is right in front of me.

......

Or there is Act 2,3,4 and 5 of King Lear which I have yet to do mindmaps for.
Ah well, at least I don't have to do mindmaps for Macbeth or Merchant of Venice. Thank all the teachers.

2 comments:

Anon gal said...

i never understood debates...i mean why waste time fighting over a dumb topic and when its over you don't give a poof about the topic anymore. You just go on to the next topic, fight and the vicious cycle goes on and on. Why can't we all just live as friends in this beautiful magical world???

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Trinisha, you suck at being anonymous. It's so blindingly obvious that you're Trinisha.
Debate is all talk and no action (I've got a cruder phrase for that but I think Anna knows what it is)