Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Classroom Side Effects

I feel slightly odd today. Like everything was built up and then crumbling into a mound of tissues and mucus and tears. Which did happen. I suppose some people see more than a crow killing and guzzling a more defenceless bird's innards, a dissected preserved bunny all innards facing out, a 50 year old specimen of a still-born human fetus, bottled tapeworms and arachnids, and received an A grade for CHINESE and actually did get it until they bothered to check that the marks calculation and got a bleeding 9 marks lower. Oh, and in a space of 7:50 a.m to 2:15 p.m on August 13th and thankfully not a Friday.


Staying in a classroom for more than required is detrimental to mental stability. Looking out of the classroom windows and observing the next building and the roof is very dangerous. You suddenly see a black streak and a bunch of white feathers floating around like dandelion fluff (although I've never seen dandelion fluff). The thing was, it was free period and I could have easily chased away that crow if I ran outside fast enough. But did I? No. Perhaps it was mercy, let that crow have his lunch and the bird less panting and getting blood all over the grass. You could see it struggling and the wings flaying to stay back its attacker.


That is the first death I've witnessed. Not to mention the array of specimens of death in the Science lab about three periods later. Plants, frogs, tadpoles, king crab, jellyfish junior, tapeworm, dog tapeworm, leech, earthworms, beetles, praying mantis, arachnids, Mr. Bunny, baby John (as nicknamed by the school years ago), a coral, some other stuff I suppose but mostly that. And I was walking around like a dummy in the science lab wearing a jacket in the bleeding heated humidity of midday becuase of my sneezing nose which DID NOT sneeze at the specimens and my sore throat. Science test tomorrow on energy, photosynthesis and respiration.


Then the dreaded results. I was nearly jumping when I got 50/70 which would equate to 70/100 with my project added. The test was very difficult. Some of the words would only be taught at 2 to 3 years from now. Which is a lot of difference. You check the marks and you suddenly get 61. You tell the teacher. You are fuming at her because she is in fact a Chinese national from China no less (Olympics...) who apparently does not know how to add marks anand turns a 41 into a 50. So much for the rigorous training in maths they say Chinese students get. Then you walk back to your desk fuming at yourself for being so truthful and mathematically inclined for the past near 1000 years of receiving marks. And naturally the greatest casualties are from Chinese and Mathematics and Science papers. Nearly never English. Only once for English I believe. Funny right?


1 comment:

Cassandra&Junebug! said...

Why am I a beta?!!
I think you have mistaken me for someone else.