Sunday, August 10, 2008

Slightly Musing

Sorry, I just can't think of a better heading. We had Matthew chapter 14 today during sermon. It is Sunday and a school holiday tomorrow. I love days like today save the presentation I have to do by tuesday. No, now my friend says to do the report. Groan. Thank heavens its a copy and paste thing.
I went away for an hour or less to go for a run and when I took off my shoes, my feet were really hot. Emitting heat. It is always after a run that it is just nearly innocent desire for the water running down your back. Does not help matters with the swimming pool in front of the gym. I envy people with long hair. I only have a long fringe which is just utterly cooling with all the water running down it.
flipped through my book of penguin romantic poetry which i bought for forty bucks. (last year and still not even starting much, what a big hole in the pocket) and there was a nice poem about first love (poor guy) and a poem tittled the Partial Muse. From Charlotte Smith's Elegiac Sonnets. Here it is.
The partial Muse has from my earliest hours
Smiled on the rugged path I'm doomed to tread
And still, with supportive hand, has snatched wild flowers
To weave fantastic garlands for my head;
But far, far happier is the lot of those
Who never learned her dear delusive art,
Which, while it decks the head with many a rose,
Reserves the thorn to fester in the heart.
For she still she bids soft Pity's melting eye
Stream o'er the hills she knows not to remove-
Points every pang, and deepens every sigh
Of mourning friendship, or unhappy love
Ah, then how dear the Muse's favours cost
If those paint sorrows best, who feel it most!
A muse is never a pretty little thing.

No comments: