Thursday, October 30, 2008

Spunky Grandmas

Most wouldn't agree but that elderly lady selling malt candy at Holland Village outside the Crystal Jade Restaurant has spunk n' attitude.

Mother passed me two dollars for her and I had to give it because apparently, people get shy when they reach their mid-life crisis. The malt candy costs one dollar.

I gave her the money after greeting her "po-po" (grandma in chinese) and she just squatted down to get the malt candy from the old steel pot. The candy looks like burnt caramel. Really sticky, she just got some of it on a small stick about three inches with the help of a flat wooden spatula.

She handed it to me and just waved me impatiently away. Without the change of one dollar which was intended to be given to her. Mind reading or just acknowleging charity?

No comments: