Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Writer's Wager: I Capture the Castle

Otiose wagers win no gold for me. For such a "satirical writer" I found Dodie Smith's book too much of a cliffhanger. I have had experiences with the best books I have read thus far, The Tea Rose and the sequel The Winter Rose. Seriously I hope and pray that Jennifer Donnelly will finish the last to wrap up the family.
I doubt I'll get a word out of Dodie Smith's clamped mouth. Hope I can find the chance to batter her with questions once both of us are admitted to heaven. Her vocabulary was quite extensive only it makes me feel quite inferior to that awfully mature 17 year-old Cassandra. I relate uncannily with her and it quite scares me. It is nearly the story of my feelings save the fact that the only romances I've waltzed into are those of those dear handsome men in books female writers think up.
So yes, the story ends with him possibly going back to America and her in her dear little village at the end page of her journal. Never to tell us again in that sort-of pact she made with herself not to write journals.
The wager was placed and lost. I was expecting something spectacular. I am way to fussy with the endings. The middles are the best. The thing I hate was that I could not half-guess the ending. I kept getting it mixed up. I can mostly feel content with some endings but some are just either too deflated or too filled with suspense.
Actually, I've only wanted to know the ending so much when I read this book. The only other time was when I read the Winter Rose.
Thank Heavens I've got some nice novels up my way. First up is Milan Kundela's Laughable Loves and I shall attempt to get a copy of the still unread The Unbearable Lightness of Being once some money shores up.
Then to the Classics again with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I heard it is quite a good novel. i am very taken by it's fine print. Finer but clear prints make me find books more profound. Not the squashed look of the Penguin Classics print (the cheap green paperback type) but something remotely elegant like Arial or Verdana in a small font. What am I doing now? Comparing fonts and styles when all I want to do is see the original manuscript which the writers worked on. That Jennifer Donnelly refuses to send a page to me.
All for now, please visit my fan fiction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm, new bloglink!
nice, but maybe, well just MAYBE you shouldnt give erin your link yeah ;P

cute name.
oh well. ill relink. cute display name too XD

cyaaaaaaaaaaa